Vitamin C is an indispensable nutrient for maintaining optimum health. It has vital functions in the human body including supporting various aspects of cellular metabolism. Humans, unlike most animals, are unable to synthesize vitamin C endogenously, which makes it an essential dietary component.
Vitamin C is regarded as a key molecule for cellular metabolism. It participates in many vital body processes including:
- Production of collagen, the main protein that makes up the connective tissue, skin, blood vessels, bones, cartilage and tendons.
- Formation of a strong extracellular matrix, which is the “glue” that binds the body’s cells together.
- Protection against oxidative damage. Vitamin C is one of the most important antioxidants and is also involved in the biological recycling of vitamin E, glutathione, and other cell protective molecules.
- Neutralization of toxins and other harmful substances in the body.
- Mitochondrial bioenergy metabolism.
- Supporting proper function of the immune system.
- Breakdown of cholesterol into bile acids.
- Synthesis of carnitine, the molecule that carries fatty acids into the mitochondria where they can be oxidized to yield energy.
- Optimization of functions of the cardiovascular, immune, nervous and most other systems in the body.
Dr. Rath’s VitaCforte is also a good source of magnesium providing 38% of its RDA (recommended daily allowance) in one serving.
Magnesium is an essential mineral and a cofactor in more than 300 enzyme systems that regulate diverse biochemical reactions in the body. Its wide spectrum of health benefits includes:
- normalizing blood pressure
- keeping healthy blood glucose levels
- assisting in bioenergy production for better stamina
- maintaining normal muscle tension and nerve function
- improving relaxation and sleep
- supporting optimum glutathione synthesis - important for effective antioxidant protection
- maintaining healthy cell growth through its role in the synthesis of DNA, RNA, proteins and many other cellular functions
Key synergy nutrients:
Magnesium ascorbate and calcium ascorbate are mineral forms of vitamin C. In addition to the benefits of vitamin C these forms provide essential minerals required for healthy cell metabolism. Also, mineral ascorbates are less acidic which makes them easier on the stomach.
Ascorbyl palmitate is a fat-soluble form of vitamin C, especially effective in protecting biological membranes and other lipid-rich cellular components from oxidative damage.
Citrus fruit peel bioflavonoids such as hesperidin, naringin, narirutin and others have a protective effect on vitamin C and help in its absorption.